Legal and Compliance
In Benin, the responsibility of legal compliance is not a one-time affair, but a continuous process. Below is the various Benin legal and compliance requirement to be followed by incorporated entities:
· The investors must meet criteria including employment of a minimum number of Beninese national to qualify for tax reductions and other incentives.
· To obtain professional trader card and importer card by making application to Directorate General of taxes, and Ministry of Industry, trade and Handicraft.
· Members of the management body or other persons may carry various insurance policies.
· The organizational chart of the governing body of the company should be publicized on website
· Under the law of Republic of Benin, the employer (head of the company) has a duty to declare his existence and his workers to the National Social Security Fund (CNSS)
· The Company must join the CNSS to enable the workers to enjoy the benefits of this membership.
· Under the Organization for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa (OHADA) law, only corporate bodies are empowered to make decisions about the timing and content of disclosure of information.
HR and Employment Law and Immigration / VISA
Unless a foreign national is from an exempt county, he is required to obtain visa from one of the Beninese diplomatic missions. In Benin, the applicable labor regulations would apply to local entrepreneurs wishing to hire workers. Below are some of the important points in relation to HR & employment law in Benin:
· Maximum number of working days per week.
· Paid annual leave of 24 days for a worker with 1 year of tenure (working days)-
· Maximum length of probationary period is 2 months
· Five fully paid days of sick leave a year
· No restriction on night work
· Maximum length of fixed-term contracts, including renewals is 48 months.
· The prospective employer provides the “sponsorship” for their entire stay of the Permanent employees for the Benin work permit.
· All permits for working in Benin must be applied for before moving to the country.