Lithuania has been an EU Member State since 2004, Lithuanian Citizenship therefore, is an EU citizenship, bearing all rights and benefits. Lithuanian Citizenship by descent, will ensue:
- The Applicant must be able to prove that his ancestor (a parent or grandparent) was a Lithuanian citizen between 1918 and 1940.
- The challenge is in proving the above. A Birth Certificate alone will not suffice in proving this.
- Archive searches often reveal further documents and certificates which can prove that an ancestor was indeed a Lithuania Citizen.
- Further documents from the country to which the ancestors immigrated and in which the subsequent relevant generations were born and wed are necessary, in order to prove the link and hence the entitlement.
- There are special conditions for former USSR citizens who may be entitled to Lithuanian Citizenship.