Residency Permit Program (“Golden Visa”)
Portugal offers a well-established Golden Residence Permit Program, which enables the residency benefits as well as visa free travel throughout the Schengen Zone within the European Union and beyond.
- The Applicant must have a clean criminal record and be of good character.
- The Applicant must make a capital investment, purchase real estate assets in Portugal, or create at least 10 local jobs.
- The Applicant must travel to Portugal to provide biometric data, when making the application.
- The Residency Permit is valid for a period of 1 year and the renewal thereafter will depend on the fulfillment of the Program requirements. This will also include being able to prove minimal periods of residence in Portugal, as follows:
- 7 days during the first year of residence; and
- 14 days during each subsequent two years of residence.
- The ability, both for applicants and their families, to live, work, study, and undertake business in Portugal
- Citizens of Portugal can benefit from visa-free travel to about 172 countries and territories, including the USA and Canada.
Permanent Residency and Citizenship
Successful Applicants may apply for Permanent Residency after 5 years, and they may seek citizenship the following year (after 6 years of residence).